Oda Castle Ruins

Southern Ibaraki

Castles/Historical Sites

Oda Castle was the residence of the Oda clan, an incredibly influential family in the area from the 12th to 17th centuries. Currently, only the ruins of the castle remain.

At the time, the Imperial Court was divided into the Northern Court in present-day Kyoto and the Southern Court in present-day Nara Prefecture. The castle was the regional headquarters for the Southern Court during the Nanbokucho period (1336-1392), a time of conflict between the two courts, and is a designated national historic site.

During the 20th century, the center of the castle was bisected by the tracks of the Tsukuba Railway.

After Tsukuba Railway became defunct in 1987, almost the entire line was redeveloped into Tsukuba Ring Ring Road. The section of the tracks that bisected Oda Castle was modified to go around outside the ruins. However, the railway tracks remain a passage cut and feature a cross-section view of the castle earthwork.

The earthworks and moat remain part of the castle ruins and are preserved as a historic park. The information center has exhibits in the style of historical scroll paintings and excavated artifacts, which can be viewed for free.

Information

Address
2377 Oda, Tsukuba, Ibaraki
Access
By public transport:
・From Tsukuba Station
60 minutes by Tsuku-Bus Oda Shuttle, alight at "Oda Chubu" and walk for 5 minutes
・From Tsuchiura Station
30 minutes by bus, alight at "Oda" and walk for 10 minutes
By car:
15 minutes from the Tsuchiura-Kita IC on the Joban Expressway
Business Hours
9:00-16:30 (Information Center)
Closed: Every Monday, the day after a national holiday, and the New Year holidays
Website
https://www.city.tsukuba.lg.jp/kankobunka/bunka/rekishi/1001640.html
Contact
029-867-4070
Parking
Please park at a nearby parking lot.

Map

No translations for '805'